Saturday, June 26, 2010

Changes...FAST Changes

Oooookay so as most of you already know I have landed a GS 5 position with the CDC. This I am very excited about. I will get to do what I love. I will be the lead teacher in a room (not sure of what age yet) and hopefully have a team of wonderful people to work with. I say hopefully because I dont have a clue as to who I am working with. I will be transferring from Spangdahlem to Bitburg. This is the part that makes me a little nervous. The other part thats kinda crazy is they want me to do all this by the 6th of July. I just received an email that I have to give my current supervisor my notice and fill out the paper work by the 29th of June so that i can in process by the 6th of July. CRAZY FAST considering most people I have talked to said that it took them about a month to get into the system. I am cool with all of it its just happening alot faster than i had anticipated. On top of all that I am nervous that my leave I got approved at Spangdahlem wont carry over to Bitburg. It is along time but we dont take leave that often and its for family sooooo it better get approved or I will be one angry person. Anywho we are grilling out right now and I am sunburnt after a long but fun day at the Lux Air Show in Bitburg.

Friday, June 18, 2010

And the verdict is...

Soo Chris and I have decided to stay in Germany for the extra year. I have already told the parentals and they are upset but they also understand why we are doing it. I really think this will be better for us both. It gives us more of an opportunity to do things that most people only dream of doing. I know that I will be fine wherever we go. Im a pretty adaptive kinda girl but I will say this, the only thing I am absolutely dreading about our extension is another winter here :( Missing family, I can fix because they are always a plane ride away but I am not related to Mother Earth and therefore I cannot convince her to keep winter at bay while I am here. Thats where we are right now. June 2012 is our new return date. Thanks everyone for your input on this. You all have helped me to feel better about the decision. Especially those of you who have been through this sorda thing before.

Movein on...or not

Well as you know chris and I have about a year left here in Germany. Today Chris received his extension paper work which would allow us to stay here one year longer. Come let us weigh the pros and cons together

  • Finances
  • GS Job
  • Travels
  • We are in a central location to go ANYWHERE we want
  • Because of the financial positives we can save money so that we can buy a house
  • Easier to receive scholarship money
  • Finish degree (yes i can do that in the states but it is cheaper for me to do it here)

  • Gone from family
  • Gone from friends
  • Cold weather
As you can see the pros outweigh the cons logically. It just sucks to be away from family that long. Although, this gives family and friends a better opportunity to come for a visit to Germany!! *hint hint

Soooo anyway give me your opinions please :)

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I cant sleep so I am going to have a word spewing :)
I still have not heard anything about the job that I applied for. I am going to go with the safe bet and say that I didnt get it so I applied for two more positions. At this point I really want to get into the system so that I can have a sound job when I get back to the states. It seems like I always have problems finding a job anywhere we go and THAT is stressful. I know that once I finish my degree things will get better it's just getting to that point that has been so bad. One of the jobs I applied for is at the Red Cross and the other is an office clerk for the Child Development Center. I guess we will see what happens :)
The next couple of weeks will be a little stressful around the Holt household. The base is undergoing a major inspection and so looooong hours are ahead, definitely for Chris and possibly for me too. We both are looking forward to the four-day weekend we get in July :). I think we are going to try to go to Berlin. I looked up tickets to fly and it would only cost us 56 euros. We have not seen Berlin yet and that is a definite must before we leave Germany. We would like to go to Egypt again but I dont know if money will allow for that to happen. I am hoping that a certain friend of mine will be able to make it out to see me before we leave here now that it is less than a year.
Speaking of less than a year. We are trying to figure out where we would like to go next. I want a warm sunny climate. Something like guam, florida or south carolina. I have been looking at the Charleston area and so far have liked what I see. If i get one of these jobs we may opt to stay overseas a little longer since we both will be making a good amount of money.
Well I guess thats all I have to stay. Thought I would write more than that. Peace.